By the last quarter of 2010, the promoters of EasySensing were challenged to participate in a contest for ideas to create innovative companies. The contest was organized by the University of Algarve with the high patronage of the Portuguese bank “Caixa Geral de Depósitos”.
The goals were the promotion of qualified entrepreneurship and innovation in the southern region of Portugal, by supporting the creation of companies on the basis of knowledge produced by qualified teams of students, professors and researchers.
In that contest the ideas presented by the founders of EasySensing got 2 out of 12 prizes, among 126 contestants. The company EasySensing – Intelligent Systems is the expression and fruition of those ideas.
Since the contest results presentation, in March 2011, the team was devoted to planning the company's creation and to prepare the first projects that will start its activity.
EasySensing was established in early 2012 and began its activity in October 2013.
The promoters of EasySensing are University Professors and ex-students of the University of Algarve, with Ph.D. or M.Sc. degrees in the fields of Systems Engineering, Electronics, and Computer Science. Their experience in the mission areas is recognized internationally by a high number of R&D projects, both national and international.
The excellence of the work is recognized by the scientific community by the publication of more than 200 scientific publications in internationally renowned journals and proceedings of peer reviewed conferences, by the invitations to write book chapters, and by books, all in the fields mentioned in the mission statement.
As a consequence of this activity EasySensing founders participate in several professional associations and technical committees. The participation and Chairmanship of the Technical Committee on Computational Intelligence in Control of the International Federation on Automatic Control (IFAC), and a senior membership of the Computational Intelligence Society of the Institute of Electric and Electronic Engineers (IEEE), stand out.
The recently created EasySensing – Intelligent Systems, Lda is a spin-off of the University of Algarve, Portugal and its missions is:
- Create and manage Wireless Sensor Networks (WSNs) to transmit data and sensor information, without communication costs, therefore benefiting decision making and process control applications.
- Create and/or upgrade electronic instrumentation, by using WSNs, granting data transmission capacity without communication costs.
- Store, manage, and allow real-time access to data and sensor information received via WSNs.
- Adequately employ computational intelligence techniques to:
- provide forecasting services related to data or sensor information received via WSNs or other means;
- perform intensive data processing and/or mining as required by specific applications or to solve complex problems;
- Establish partnerships with Universities and other relevant R&D institutions in order to promote and execute research and technological development required to the advancement of fields of interest.
- Under the scope of this mission, EasySensing aims to become a local reference regarding the creation of qualified employment and in the development and production of innovating technological solutions. The strong commitment to develop and produce should become a significant contribution for the improvement of local economy and exportation of products and services.